We all know how daunting a long drive can be, especially if you have to keep young children entertained or have pets. If you are planning on taking a long road trip then you need to plan in advance 60% of drivers say they’ve gotten “Highway Hypnosis” which means they have driven while drowsy. With this in mind here are our top tips for enduring a long drive!
- Fuel Up – We don’t mean your car! It is important to carry a variety of snacks throughout your journey as this will help you stay more alert as well as helping you skip fast food stops which will save you both time and money.
- Plan your stops – A crucial part of long road trips is the ability to get out of your car and stretch your legs, it is recommended you stop every 2 hours or so, this benefit you and your family as it gives you time to take in some fresh air. You could also plan your stops so that you stop at interesting locations.
- Keep your passengers entertained – Travelling with children can often be stressful and this can lead to the driver becoming fatigued, a good way to counter this is to provide children with means to be entertained for example; iPad books and puzzles.
- Pack an emergency kit – It is important to be prepared for any outcome, it doesn’t have to be expensive but some essentials are; snacks, first aid kid, engine oil, replacement bulbs, fuel and a foot pump.
- Take roads which are used less – If you have the option to dodge the motorway and take a more scenic road then we recommend taking it, it will add more time to your journey but is bound to make it more interesting than driving down a motorway for hours.
- Keep your car in good condition – Be sure to keep your car serviced regularly and check basics such as; fuel, oil, lights, and tyres before setting off on your journey. By checking these you are cutting down the most common breakdown causes.
- Make sure you are comfortable – Discomfort is a common problem when on a long drive here are some tips to make the journey more comfortable; wear loose clothing as this will help with movement, wear footwear that you can drive in comfortably, start early and drive during daylight hours.
Long drives can be both unsettling and dangerous if the proper precautions aren’t taken. Ensure you stay safe by following the suggestions above. If you have had an accident, Connect can still insure you. Give us a call on 01782 280280 to discuss, or hit the Get a Quote button to see what we can offer you.
Have you ever had an incident on a long journey? Ever fallen asleep behind the wheel? Got any funny stories about being stranded due to running out of fuel? Be sure to head over to social media and let us know@connect_insure on Twitter and @cibltd on Facebook.