Green Card Cover

The Green Card is an official document, traditionally printed on green paper, that is presented at the border to prove you have insurance in place on the motor vehicle you are taking abroad. It is an international certificate of insurance which proves that your UK motor insurance policy provides you with the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country you’re visiting.

Following Brexit, you may require a Green Card.

If the Brexit deadline of March 29th is reached with no deal in place, Green Cards may see a sudden return to use. If you plan to cross the Irish border by road, or use your vehicle on the European Continent after a no deal Brexit, you will need to arrange a Green Card in advance.

Would there be a charge?

The Department for Transport [Dft] announced last September that there would be no charge for the issuing of a Green Card, whilst the Association of British Insurers noted that insurance firms however could apply a “small administrative charge” if they felt warranted to do so. it was justified

Does it actually affect me?

Green Cards will only affect drivers who wish to take their UK registered vehicle into a European country for the purposes of driving it. These typically fall into the following categories:

  • Holidaymakers intending on using their vehicle on the continent.
  • Drivers crossing the Irish border by road.
  • Commercial operators crossing borders in line with their occupation.

Where is a Green Card used?

The Green Card system currently comprises 47 countries, including all 28 in the European Union, the additional countries that make up the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, Russia and several countries in the Middle East and others bordering the Mediterranean Sea.

Quick Reference:

If you are travelling outside the UK, but returning before the 29th of March 2019, you will not require a green card.

As you will be outside of the UK following the date that Brexit will come into force, you will need to arrange a Green Card prior to travelling. Following the 29th of March 2019, if you are caught driving outside of the UK without a Green Card, you will be in direct violation of driving laws. Please contact your insurance provider before you travel to request a Green Card.

If you are taking your vehicle to an EU country after the 29th of March 2019, you will require a Green Card for the duration of your trip. The Green Card will need to start from your chosen travel date and can be arranged by contacting your insurance provider. Please be aware that Green Cards cannot always be instantly issued.

Connect require 14 days notice to arrange a Green Card on your behalf.