With holiday season fast approaching we thought it would best to let you know about the craziest driving laws from around the globe, so if you are going to be hiring a car or taking yours it is best to know that:
- In Spain if you wear glasses but only own one pair don’t even think about driving as it is against the law to drive without a spare pair of glasses in the vehicle, just in case you lose a pair or break a pair.
- Have you ever had a sip of water whilst driving or had a quick snack? Well in Cyprus it is illegal to raise a hand from the steering wheel and that includes eating and drinking.
- In Manila to combat traffic congestion they have made it illegal to drive on certain days of the week, which day of the week this is for you depend on what number your plate ends in.
- If you have ever has the misfortune of being drenched with water by a bus or a lorry, well in Japan you will be happy to know that this is illegal.
- If you ever find yourself driving in Denmark make sure that you check underneath your car for people, it is compulsory to do this.
- Not matter is you are male or female in Thailand you could be fined if you are found driving without a T-Shirt on.
- Even though there are some months of year the sun never sets in Sweden motorist are required to keep their headlights in when driving 24 hours a day.
- In Italy you need to be careful when driving as historic zones requires a permit to enter and you can be heavily fined if you don’t have one.
- We cannot quite work this one out but in Alabama USA the law enforcement have specified that it is illegal to drive blindfolded…
- Again we cannot quite work it out but in Alaska it is illegal to strap your dog to the roof of your car…
- In Costa Rica you are allowed to drink alcohol while driving, but you are not allowed to drive if your blood alcohol level exceeds 0.75%.
- Another crazy law courtesy of the Spanish dictates that if you are parking on a one-way street on uneven days of the month you must park of the side of the road with uneven numbers and vice versa.
- If you own a vehicle in South Carolina USA you need to make sure that you keep it tidy as it is illegal to store litter in a vehicle in case it causes problems with rats.
So if you are travelling to one of the above areas make sure not to get caught out by some of their laws. It is also important that you take out your travel insurance when travelling abroad click here to get a quote or click here to read the importance of travel insurance.
Also most of our motor polices will cover you to drive your vehicle for 30 days in Europe so get a quote on one our motor polices or call us for a motor/travel quote today on 01782 280280.