Driving on the motorway for the first time can be pretty daunting, especially if you have never been on one before like most new drivers. This will improve as it is now mandatory to go on the motorway as part of your learning, but for those recently passed and those who do not use motorways much here are some motorway driving essential tips:
- Take a more experienced driver with you as they can help guide you and if you feel really uncomfortable they can take over for you.
- Match your speed when you are joining a motorway, the key to joining safely is to accelerate along the slip road so you join the flow of traffic naturally.
- Make the most of your mirrors; Mirrors are a hugely important part of motorway driving. Start off by making sure yours are clean and correctly positioned. You’ll be using them to join the motorway and every time you change lanes so they need to be in top working order. Don’t forget to check your blind spots too!
- Stick to the speed limit; the national speed limit for cars is 70mph but there may be exceptions where you will be asked to lower your speed in the event of roadworks or an accident.
- Overtake correctly, once you have joined the motorway you should stay in the left lane unless you are overtaking, once you have overtaken you should return back to the left-hand lane. Watch out for large vehicles as they have bigger blind spots than usual vehicles.
- Be sure to keep a safe distance from any vehicles, the general rule is 2 seconds Choose a fixed point such as a lamp post or bridge and when the car in front passes it, start counting 2 seconds. As you finish speaking you should be reaching that same point. This should increase to 4 in wet conditions.
- If you are feeling tired or fatigued take a break, it is recommended you take a 15-minute break for every 2 hours you spend on the road.
- Be alert and aware, keep your wits about you at all times and check your mirrors and blind spots regularly.
If you’re a new driver, please be aware we offer Young Driver insurance and can help to get you out on the roads painlessly. Give us a call on 01782 280280 or fill out a quote enquiry form here.
Did you find this list helpful? Have you ever had any incidents on a motorway? How soon after passing your test did you feel comfortable on motorways? Be sure to head over to social media and let us know@connect_insure on Twitter and @cibltd on Facebook.